|Butter/Regular margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Almond paste||3 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla bean||1 Inch|
|Strawberries||1 1⁄2 Pint|
|Currant-jelly glaze||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
To make flan shell:
1. Grease and lightly flour an 8- by-l-l/2-inch round layer-cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, cream butter with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, the almond paste and lemon peel until well combined.
3. Add 1 egg white and beat at high speed until smooth.
4. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup flour until well blended, turn into prepared pan and pat evenly over bottom and side.
5. If too soft to work with, refrigerate for 10 minutes and then refrigerate 1 hour or longer.
6. Preheat oven to 300f.
7. Bake shell 50 minutes until golden-brown.
8. Let cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes; then gently turn out onto rack, and let cool completely.
To make rum cream:
9. In small saucepan, mix gelatin, granulated sugar, flour and dash salt and mix well.
10. Beat egg yolk with milk and rum.
11. Add to gelatin mixture cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until mixture is thickened and comes to boiling.
12. Pour into medium bowl and set bowl in pan of ice and water.
13. Let it stand, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to set—about 8 to 10 minutes and fold in beaten egg white.
14. Beat cream with confectioners' sugar and fold into gelatin mixture.
15. Stir in scraped vanilla bean, spread evenly over flan shell and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
16. Arrange berries on rum cream in shell brush with Currant-Jelly Glaze refrigerate for 3-4 hours and serve.