|Milk||1 3⁄4 Pint (1 Liter)|
|Vanilla pod||1 , split in half lengthways|
|Sugar||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
1. Put the milk in a heavy pan with the vanilla and bring slowly to the boil. Remove and leave to infuse.
2. To make the caramel: put the sugar, water and lemon juice in a small heavy pan. Cook over moderate heat until a rich golden caramel colour is obtained. Remove from the heat and pour immediately into a warmed 2 litre (3 1/2 pint) mould or souffle dish. Rotate the dish quickly so that the caramel coats the base and sides evenly. Set aside.
3. Make the custard: whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Discard the vanilla from the infused milk, then whisk the milk into the egg and sugar mixture. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into the caramelized mould.
4. Stand the mould in a hot bain marie and place in a preheated moderate oven. Immediately lower the temperature to cool. Cook for about 1 hour or until set; to test if the custard is set, insert a knife into the centre - it should be clean when withdrawn.
5. Remove the creme caramel from the bain marie and leave until cold. Leave in a cool place or chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours before unmoulding onto a deep serving dish. To unmould easily, dip the base of the mould into a bowl of hot water for 30 seconds.
6. Serve creme caramel at room temperature or chilled.
Calories 246 Calories from Fat 76
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g13%
Saturated Fat 3.5 g17.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 222 mg74%
Sodium 112 mg4.7%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.25 g1%
Sugars 34.3 g
Protein 10 g19.3%
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 0.48%
Calcium 14.9% Iron 5.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet