Spinach and Cheese Flan
|Spinach||1 1⁄2 Kilogram|
|Roasted cashew nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Spring onions||4 , sliced|
|Eggs||4 , lightly beaten|
|Grated sharp cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Such As A Mature Cheddar)|
|Cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), mixed with a pinch of sodium bicarbonate|
|Sodium bicarbonate||1 Pinch|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Tabasco sauce||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven and prepare flan ring.
2. Line flan ring with pastry.
3. Bake blind in preheated oven for about 15 minutes till pale gold and crisp.
4. Remove from oven and set aside till cool.
5. Chop off and discard hard stems of spinach.
6. Wash leaves and tender stems thoroughly.
7. Blanch spinach for 1 minute in boiling salted water.
8. Refresh and drain thoroughly.
9. Cool and squeeze out excess liquid.
10. Chop spinach and place in a large bowl.
11. Sprinkle in cashew nuts.
12. Heat butter with oil in a pan over moderate heat.
13. Add spring onions and saute till soft.
14. Transfer contents of pan to bowl containing spinach.
15. Combine eggs and cheese in another bowl and whisk till well blended.
16. Mix in cream.
17. Pour into bowl containing spinach.
18. Add remaining ingredients, except parsley, and mix well.
19. Spoon mixture into baked flan and sprinkle with parsley.
20. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes till golden on top.
21. Remove flan ring and place flan on a serving platter.
22. Serve hot or warm.