Smoked Fish Flan
|Frozen buttered kipper fillets||10 Ounce (Packet)|
|Shortcrust pastry||6 Ounce (I.E. Made With 6 Ounce Flour Etc.)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Plain flour||2 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Eggs||2 Large, beaten|
|Flour||2 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Single cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon|
1) According to pack instructions, cook kipper fillets.
2) In a measuring jug, transfer the cooking liquid.
3) With a palette knife and fork, remove the dark skin from the fish and discard it.
4) Roughly cut the fish into three pieces and let it cool.
5) Take a 9 inch plain flan ring and line it with rolled out shortcrust pastry.
6) Place the flan ring on greased baking sheet.
7) Prick the base of the pastry and keep in refrigerator.
8) In a pan, melt butter in water to make choux pastry.
9) On a greaseproof paper, sift the flour with salt.
10) When water boils, mix the sifted flour into it at once.
11) Beat the mixture well and enough to remove it from the sides of the pan.
12) In the pan, add eggs while beating the mixture hard.
13) Keep some egg to brush the flan base and edge.
14) Leave the paste for choux pastry for cooling.
15) In a sauce pan, melt the butter to make sauce.
16) Add flour and mix well.
17) Mix the cooking liquid of kippers with milk to make it till 1/2 pt.
18) Remove the pan from the flame and add the liquid to it. Whisk well.
19) Return pan to heat and while stirring continuously, add cream.
20) Add the grated cheese to the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
21) Cover the pan with a round butter paper to avoid skin formation on the top.
22) Leave it to cool.
23) Brush with egg, the flan base and edge.
24) In a piping bag with 1/2 inch plain nozzle, spoon the choux paste and pipe out half paste on round edge of flan case.
25) With a knife, lightly draw the choux on sides of the flan.
26) Spoon the cooked kippers in the center of the flan case.
27) Pour sauce over the kippers and cover with the remaining choux paste.
28) Brush the top with the remaining beaten egg and sprinkle grated cheese as the final topping.
29) In the oven, bake the flan at 425 degree F for 45 minutes.
30) Remove the flan case at the time of serving.
Calories 405 Calories from Fat 262
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.5%
Saturated Fat 17.5 g87.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 162.1 mg54%
Sodium 337.4 mg14.1%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.7 g2.8%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 18 g36.5%
Vitamin A 18.3% Vitamin C 10.4%
Calcium 21.8% Iron 5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet