Coffee Creme Brulee With Biscotti
|Plain flour||9 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||9 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||3 Medium, beaten|
|Pistachios||8 Ounce, shells removed (225 Gram)|
|Dried figs||4 1⁄2 Ounce, chopped (125 Gram)|
|Lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole milk||250 Milliliter|
|Castor sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Double cream||700 Milliliter|
|Demerara sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Whipping cream||75 Milliliter|
|Cocoa powder||2 Tablespoon|
1) Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2) Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
3) In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Add half of the egg and mix until well combined. Gradually add the remaining egg and keep on mixing for making stiff dough.
4) Add pistachios, figs and lemon zest to knead lightly with the dough without damaging the flavors.
5) Make out 6 portions from the dough. Roll every portion to sausage shape having 2.5cm diameter. Slightly flatten on sides.
6) Arrange these on the baking sheet, by keeping space between each of them.
7) Place this inside oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until pale golden. For even browning, turn the baking sheet around halfway through cooking time.
8) Remove from oven and allow cooling on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
9) Cut out the biscotti diagonally into 3 slices using a serrated knife before it completely cools and leave for some time to firm up.
10) Reduce the oven temperature to 140C/fan 120C/ gas 1. Return the biscotti to the baking sheet and bake for another 10-12 minutes, or until turning pale golden brown. Flip over and return to oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until evenly golden and crisp.
11) Allow cooling on a wire rack.
12) Reduce the oven to 120C/fan 100C/gas ½, to prepare the brulee.
13) In a pan, heat up milk over low heat. Fold in coffee granules and whisk until dissolved. Whisk the egg yolks until pale, add the caster sugar and whisk until pale and fluffy. Whisk in the hot milk mixture and then the cream.
14) Use 8 x 175ml ramekins to ladle the mixture. Place these in a high-sided roasting tin. Fill the tin with enough boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
15) Place the roasting tin inside oven and cook for 1.5-2 hrs, or until the brulees have set.
16) Allow the brulees to cool and chill inside the refrigerator.
17) Sprinkle the tops evenly with demerara sugar. Heat grill to its highest setting and place the brulees under for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar starts to bubble and caramelize.
18) In the serving plates, place the creme brulees and top with a spoonful of cream. Dust lightly with cocoa and serve with biscotti.
Calories 1482 Calories from Fat 813
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 92 g141%
Saturated Fat 9.4 g46.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 423.6 mg141.2%
Sodium 165.5 mg6.9%
Total Carbohydrates 148 g49.2%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g35%
Sugars 96.8 g
Protein 22 g43.7%
Vitamin A 14.4% Vitamin C 5.4%
Calcium 27.7% Iron 22.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet