Raspberryand Creme Brulee Tart
|Double cream||3⁄4 Pint (450 Milliliter)|
|Castor sugar||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Raspberries||5 Ounce (150 Gram)|
|Icing sugar||5 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||5 Ounce (150 Gram)|
|Icing sugar||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Butter||3 Ounce, diced (75 Gram)|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon, finely grated|
|Egg white||15 Milliliter, beaten (1 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour, salt and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Mix the egg yolks and orange rind together, add to the dry ingredients and mix to a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured work surface for a few seconds, until smooth. Wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out the pastry and use to line a fluted 23cm/9in flan tin (quiche pan). Cover and chill for a further 30 minutes. While the pastry case is chilling, put a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
4. Prick the base of the pastry all over with a fork and line with foil and baking beans. Place on the hot baking sheet and bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and bake the pastry for 5 minutes more.
5. Lightly brush the base and sides of the pastry case with egg white, then return to the oven for 3-4 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 160°C/ 325°F/Gas 3.
6. Halve the vanilla pod lengthways. Place in a small pan with the cream. Slowly bring to the boil, then remove the vanilla pod. In a mixing bowl or pouring jug (pitcher), whisk the egg and egg yolks with the sugar until pale. Slowly whisk in the hot cream.
7. Sprinkle the raspberries over the base of the pastry case, arranging them so that they are fairly evenly distributed. Pour over the custard, then bake the tart for 17-20 minutes, or until very lightly set. Place on a wire rack to cool. Chill for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
8. To add the crunchy caramel topping, first protect the edges of the pastry case with pieces of foil. Dredge a thin layer of icing sugar over the custard, right to the edge of the pastry case. Place under a hot grill (broiler) for 1 minute, or until the sugar melts and turns a dark golden colour. Take care not to over-grill or the custard will separate. Chill for about 10 minutes, to allow the caramel to harden slightly, then serve in slices.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3606 Calories from Fat 2383
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 267 g410%
Saturated Fat 48.4 g241.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 764.5 mg254.8%
Sodium 380.2 mg15.8%
Total Carbohydrates 272 g90.6%
Dietary Fiber 16.6 g66.5%
Sugars 139.2 g
Protein 35 g70.8%
Vitamin A 58.2% Vitamin C 95.9%
Calcium 19.5% Iron 52.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet