Baked Onion Custard
|White onions||4 Large|
|Buttered toast slices||4|
|Smoked cheese/Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Start oven, set at 350° F., Moderate. Rub a medium-sized baking dish with butter or margarine.
2. Peel the onions under water, cut in halves, cover with boiling water and simmer 20 minutes. Drain.
3. Place the toast in the baking dish. Set 2 onion slices on each piece of toast. Sprinkle the onions with the cheese, dot with butter or margarine.
4. Beat the eggs to a foam, add milk, salt and pepper. Pour around the onions.
5. Bake about 10 minutes, or until the custard is firm.
6. Garnishes for this dish are browned bacon curls, sauteed whole mushrooms, crisp parsley.