|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs), scalded|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
2. Heat one-half cup of the sugar slowly in a small heavy skillet, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts, is free from lumps and turns a light caramel in color. Pour a spoonful of the syrup in each of five custard cups and let stand until slightly cooled.
3. Beat the eggs slightly with the remaining sugar and the salt. Add the milk slowly, while stirring. Add the vanilla. Strain and pour the strained mixture carefully into the prepared cups so as not to disturb the caramel.
4. Place the cups in a pan of hot water (the water should be almost level with the tops of the cups) and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, or about forty minutes. Remove immediately from the water and cool quickly. Chill if desired.
5. To serve, run a knife around the edge of the custards, turn out and serve with whipped cream if desired.