Sultry Summer Flan
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Liquid egg replacement/2 large eggs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Evaporated skim milk/1 can||12 Ounce|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg/Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In small nonstick skillet heat 2 tablespoons sugar over medium-high heat. When sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook sugar, stirring and shaking pan occasionally. When sugar has caramelized (turned medium brown), divide it equally over the bottoms of four 6-ounce souffle dishes or custard cups. Set aside to cool.
2. In medium bowd whisk egg substitute or whole eggs to combine without making foam. Add salt and remaining sugar. Whisk to mix. Stir in milk, vanilla, and spice.
3. Divide custard over cooled sugar in souffle dishes. Place dishes in small baking pan. Place pan in oven. Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up sides of dishes.
4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted just off center of flan comes out clean (flans should still be slightly loose and jiggly in center).
5. Serve in souffle dishes or unmold onto serving plates. Garnish with raspberries, if desired.