Pear Flan Aux Amandes
|Bartlett pears||4 , peeled, halved and cored|
|Water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Low fat milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Frozen apple juice concentrate||2 Tablespoon|
|Orange flavored liqueur||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground almonds||2 Tablespoon|
|Raspberries||4 (For Garnishing)|
|Blueberries||4 (For Garnishing)|
|Red grapes||4 (For Garnishing)|
|Kiwifruit slices||4 (For Garnishing)|
|Orange twists||3 (For Garnishing)|
|Orange rind||1 , julienned (For Garnishing)|
1. Poach the pears in the water with the honey and cloves in a medium-size saucepan for 8 to 10 minutes or until the pears are tender. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool the pears in the poaching liquid.
2. Preheat the oven to moderate (350°).
3. Beat the eggs and egg white in a medium-size bowl until blended. Add the scalded milk, almond extract and apple juice concentrate, blending well. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve.
4. Spray a 9-inch quiche dish or pie pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cooled pears from the poaching liquid (reserve 1 to 2 tablespoons of the poaching liquid for the Raspberry Coulis, if you wish). Pat the pears dry with paper toweling. Slice the pears to make a fan shape. Arrange the pears in the prepared dish. Pour the strained milk mixture over the pears. Sprinkle with the orange-flavored liqueur, then the ground nuts. Place the dish in a larger baking pan on the middle rack of the oven. Pour in water to come 1 inch up the side of the dish.
5. Bake the flan in the preheated moderate oven (350°) for 25 minutes or until the filling is set. Cool the flan on a wire rack. Garnish with the fresh fruits and serve with the chilled Raspberry Coulis, if you wish.