Crunchy Apple And Almond Flan
|Mixed spice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Demerara sugar||2 Ounce (Raw, 50 Gram, 1/4 Cup)|
|Flaked almonds||2 Ounce, sliced (50 Gram, 1/2 Cup)|
|Cooking apples||1 1⁄2 Pound (675 Gram)|
|Raisins||1 Ounce (25 Gram, 3 Tablespoon)|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon, sifted (Confectioner’S, For Dusting)|
|All purpose flour||6 Ounce (175 Gram, 1 1/2 Cups)|
|Butter||3 Ounce, diced (75 Gram, 6 Tablespoon)|
|Ground almonds||1 Ounce (25 Gram, 1/4 Cup)|
|Caster sugar||1 Ounce (Superfine, 25 Gram, 2 Tablespoon)|
|Cold water||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Almond essence||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Extract)|
1. To make the pastry, place the flour in a food processor or mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the ground almonds and sugar. Whisk the egg yolk, water and almond essence together and mix into the dry ingredients to form a soft, pliable dough. Knead until smooth, wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and leave in a cool place for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the topping. Sift the flour and mixed spice into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips. Stir in the demerara sugar and flaked almonds.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 23cm/ 9in loose-based flan tin (quiche pan), taking care to press the pastry neatly into the edges and to make a lip around the top edge. Use a rolling pin to trim off the excess pastry and give a neat edge. Chill for 15 minutes.
4. Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Peel, core and thinly slice the cooking apples. Arrange the slices in the pastry case in overlapping, concentric circles, doming the centre. Sprinkle over the raisins.
5. Cover the apples with the crunchy topping mixture, pressing it on lightly. Place the flan on the hot baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the apples are tender (you can test them with a fine skewer). Leave the flan to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold, dusted with sifted icing sugar.