Leek And Bacon Flan
|For cheese pastry|
|Soft margarine||100 Gram|
|Plain flour||175 Gram|
|Cheddar cheese||75 Gram, grated|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
|Dry mustard||To Taste|
|Streaky bacon||100 Gram|
|Single cream||150 Milliliter|
|Whole egg powder||60 Milliliter (Dried Egg Powder)|
|Cheddar cheese||25 Gram, grated|
|Fresh breadcrumbs||45 Milliliter|
1. Place the margarine, water and 3 rounded tablespoons of the flour in a bowl and cream with a fork until well mixed. Add the remaining flour, the cheese, a pinch of salt, cayenne and mustard powder and work together to form a firm dough. Knead lightly until smooth. Place in a polythene bag and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out on a floured surface and line 20 cm/8 in flan ring on a baking sheet.
2. Line the flan with a circle of greaseproof paper, weigh down with dried beans and bake the flan just above the centre of a moderately hot oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6 for 15 minutes. Carefully lift out the paper and beans and return the flan to the oven for 5 minutes to dry out the centre.
3. Wash, trim and slice the leeks and rinse the slices under running water to make sure all the grit is removed. De-rind the bacon and cut it into strips.
4. Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan, add the leeks and bacon and fry until the leeks are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
5. Mix the milk and cream together. Blend the dried egg and water to a smooth cream, then stir in the milk mixture. Stir into the leeks and bacon, season with salt and pepper and turn into the flan case. Mix the cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the filling. Bake in a moderately hot oven at 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5 until the filling is set and the topping crisp and golden, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.