Classic Creme Caramel
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (divided)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||3 Medium|
|Pure vanilla||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh mint||1 Sprig (garnish)|
|Mixed berry||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (garnish)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2) In a heavy skillet, add 1 cup sugar and water together.
3) Heat over a medium heat, swirling too frequently but not stirring, until sugar liquefies and then caramelizes.
4) Remove the skillet from heat when amber in color.
5) Into 8 ramekins, carefully pour the hot caramel, swirl to cover bottoms and keep aside.
6) In a pan, heat the milk until hot but not boiling.
7) Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together whole eggs, yolks and remaining sugar until foamy.
8) Add hot milk in a thin steady stream while whisking.
9) Add the vanilla extract and whisk in to mix.
10) Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and distribute evenly among the ramekins.
11) In a large pan, set the ramekins and carefully pour enough boiling water to come half way up the sides of the ramekins.
12) Place the ramekins along with the large pan and water in it and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until custards are just set.
13) Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
14) Run a knife around the edge of each ramekin, place a dish upside down over the top of mold and quickly invert.
15) Garnish the creme caramel with a mint sprig and fresh berries and serve.
This video is a creation of legourmettv. You can visit legourmettv for complete recipes, and more videos.
Calories 235 Calories from Fat 49
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.4%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 146.3 mg48.8%
Sodium 54.1 mg2.3%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g1.2%
Sugars 42.2 g
Protein 5 g10.6%
Vitamin A 4.7% Vitamin C 3.8%
Calcium 9.8% Iron 3.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet