Vanilla Caramel Custard
|Sugar||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Half and half||500 Milliliter (2 Cups)|
|Milk||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Egg yolks||2 Large|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Fresh strawberries||4 , sliced (Whole)|
1. Heat oven to 325°F (160°C). Place 5 1/2- to 6-cup (1375-mL to 1.5-L) ring mold in oven until hot, about 10 minutes.
2. Place 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar in heavy medium skillet; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted and deep amber color, 5 to 8 minutes. Do not allow sugar to burn.
3. Immediately pour caramelized sugar into ring mold; holding mold with potholder, quickly rotate to coat bottom and sides evenly with sugar. Place mold on wire rack. (Caution: Caramelized sugar is very hot; do not touch it.)
4. Cut vanilla bean lengthwise in half; combine with half & half and milk in heavy 2-quart (2-L) saucepan. Heat over medium heat until almost simmering; remove from heat. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar until dissolved; remove vanilla bean.
5. Lightly beat eggs and egg yolks in large bowl until blended but not foamy; gradually stir in milk mixture. Pour custard into ring mold.
6. Place mold in large baking pan; pour hot water into baking pan to depth of 1/2 inch (1.3 cm). Bake until knife inserted into center of custard comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
7. Remove mold from water bath; place on wire rack. Let stand 30 minutes. Refrigerate, covered, until cold throughout, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.