Pineapple curry is a sweet and sour, spicy preparation popular in parts of India and the Far East. The fruit based curry is prepared in the south of India with the Udipi cuisine of Karnataka being particularly famous for it. Both the Indian as well as the far eastern recipes recommend using coconut milk although the taste between the two dishes vary considerably. Sesame seeds and gram powder are also used to cook the curry apart from the traditional Indian spices. The Sri Lankan dish of Annasi Maluwa is also a common curry preparation served with hot, steamed rice for lunch. The curry is also a frequent accompaniment for meals in Kerala.
The fruit is also cooked with seafood or chicken based in a spicy gravy. Pinapple is also one of the primary ingredients of the Hawaiian dish of vegetable curry cooked with coconut cream and curry powder.
Overview of Pineapple Curry Recipes
The simplest method of cooking the curry involves boiling the sliced pineapple along with water and turmeric powder. A paste of ground coconut, cumin, and green chilies are added to the simmering dish with some fresh yogurt being stirred into it. A tempering of mustard seeds, whole red chilies and curry leaves are poured into the pan and the dish removed from heat after seasoning it with salt and sugar.
Popular Variations of Pineapple Curry Recipes
The most well known recipes for pineapple-based curries include:-
- Annasi Maluwa - This is a Sri Lankan dish prepared with cubed pineapple pieces, garlic, onions and roasted Sri Lankan curry powder cooked in a coconut milk based gravy.
- Gang Kua Subparod- This spicy Thai curry is prepared with pineapple chunks and shrimps, beef or pork cooked with Thai curry paste and fish sauce together with coconut cream.
- Pajri Nenas- A traditional Malaysian dish cooked with shrimp, chicken and a number of spices including ginger, garlic, onions, cinnamon, star anise and freshly ground coconut.
- Grilled Curried Pineapple- A popular barbecue dish made by grilling wedges of pineapple marinated with butter, brown sugar and curry powder.
- Labahito Pineapple Chili Curry- This is a Filipino dish where the surgeonfish is fried and served with a sweet and sour sauce prepared by blending curry powder, crushed pineapple, and hot chilies together.
The popular cookbook, “AMERICAN CONTEMPORARY; Feasting on Leftovers “includes a recipe for cooking leftover food by adding ham to pineapple curry