Easy Dhokar Dalna
|Bengal gram||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Potato||2 Medium, each cut into 8 small pieces|
|Ghee/Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Adjust Amount If Needed)|
|Cooking oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Amount If Needed)|
1. To prepare the Dhokas (fried lentil chunks), use ingredients from Bengal Gram to water. Rest of the ingredients is for the dalna (curry).
2. STEPS TO MAKE THE DHOKA: Wash and soak Bengal gram in six cups of water for about 4 to 6 hours. Drain water and grind in a mixer to a paste.
3. Heat two tbsp each of oil and ghee. Add asafetida, one tsp ginger paste, one tsp red chili powder. Pour the ground dal, salt, sugar and cook till soft but not fully dried.
4. Smear ghee (or butter) in a dish. Pour the cooked dal and spread evenly on the dish. Press lightly. Cool and cut the dhoka into cubes of one inch.
5. Heat two tbsp oil and fry the dhokas to light brown. Remove and keep aside.
6. Add little more oil to fry the potatoes, mixed with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Fry till light brown. Keep aside.
7. STEPS TO MAKE THE DALNA: Heat two tbsp oil and one tbsp ghee. Add half tsp cumin seeds, bay leaf. Fry for a minute till it stops spluttering.
8. Add turmeric, red chili powder, and one tsp of grated ginger. Fry in medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes adding little water as required to prevent sticking.
9. Once the oil starts coming out, add two cups of water. Add the fried dhokas, and potatoes. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
10. Serve hot with steamed basmati rice.
Calories 1055 Calories from Fat 663
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 75 g116%
Saturated Fat 16.3 g81.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32.7 mg10.9%
Sodium 133.2 mg5.6%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.5%
Dietary Fiber 20.1 g80.3%
Sugars 12.7 g
Protein 22 g43.1%
Vitamin A 3.5% Vitamin C 37.5%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 44%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet