Fresh Green Thai Curry with Chicken and Mangoes
|Boneless chicken thighs||1 Kilogram|
|Green mangoes||2 Small, peeled, cut into bite size chunks, seed discarded (Firm)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Coconut milk||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄4 Medium, sliced thin|
|Onion/3 shallots||1⁄2 Medium, peeled, roughly chopped|
|Garlic cloves||10 Medium, peeled|
|Thai red chilies/0.5 jalapeno||2 Medium|
|Ginger knob/Galangal||2 Inch, sliced|
|Lemongrass stalks||2 Medium (Top 1/3 Used, Outer Layers Discarded)|
|Fresh coriander leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed, roughly chopped (Leaves And Stems Used)|
|Fresh basil leaves||30 Medium|
|Kaffir lime leaves||2 Medium (Inner Stem Discarded)|
|Ground turmeric||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Salt/1 tablespoon soy sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef shoulder/Beef loin||1⁄2 Kilogram, cut into thin strips|
|Lemongrass stalk||1 Medium|
|Yellow onion||1⁄2 Medium, sliced thin|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium, minced fine|
|Chili sauce||1 Tablespoon (Sambal Olek - As Required To Taste)|
|Fish sauce||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Lime||1⁄2 Medium, juiced|
|Fresh coriander||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thai basil leaves||15 Medium|
|Green onion||1 Medium, sliced thin diagonally|
|Bean sprouts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Cut chicken thighs into 1” thick slices and set aside.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or wok over medium heat.
3. Add all the ingredients for paste into a blender and blend into a thick paste.
4. Add a few teaspoons of coconut milk to the mixture to help it blend, if necessary.
5. Pour curry paste into pot and fry for at least 4 minutes (You now have a curry paste that you can cool, bottle and refrigerate for weeks).
6. Add chicken into the pot and let simmer for 4-5 minutes so that it absorbs flavor from the paste.
7. Add coconut milk, stir well and bring the curry back up to a simmer.
8. Add green mango pieces and remaining Kaffir lime leaves, cook for another 5 minutes, or until mangoes have softened and chicken is cooked through.
9. Add red bell peppers and cook for 2 final minutes.
10. Garnish with reserved basil, reserved ginger and sprouts. Serve over jasmine rice