Charleston Style Shrimp Curry
|Water||9 Cup (144 tbs)|
|Large shrimp||3 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Finely chopped apple||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Curry powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Hot cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
1) Boil 9 cups water and add shrimp, and return to a boil. Let it simmer for 3-5 minutes.
2) Drain the shrimp and rinse in cold water. Chill them.
3) Peel and devein the shrimp and keep aside.
4) In a saucepan, melt butter and saute onion, apple, and celery in butter for 5 minutes.
5) Add 1 cup water and cook, uncovered, on low heat for 25 minutes or until liquid reduces.
6) Add whipping cream, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Mix and let it simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
7) Fold in shrimp, and simmer until thoroughly heated.
8) Serve the Charleston style shrimp curry with rice.
The curry can also be served with flaked coconut, toasted almonds, peanuts, raisins, fig preserves, chutney, pickle relish, crumbled bacon, bananas, chopped hard-cooked egg, chopped green pepper, and chopped onion.