New Potato Curry
Small new potatoes - 1 kg/2 lb, finely chopped
Fresh root ginger - 50 g/2 oz, grated
Garlic cloves - 2, crushed
Ghee or butter - 50 g/2 oz
Bay leaves - ghee or butter
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Fennel seeds - 2 teaspoons
Green cardamoms - 3
Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
Water - 600 ml/1 pint
Salt - to taste
Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
Natural yogurt - 300 ml/1 pint
Chilli powder - to taste
Fresh coriander leaves - as required, chopped
1) In a wok, saute the onion, ginger, garlic, bay leaves, broken cinnamon stick, fennel seeds, cardamoms and turmeric in ghee, stirring continuously until the onion is softened but not browned.
2) Stir in the potatoes, pour in water and season with the salt and pepper to taste.
3) Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer rapidly for another 10 minutes, or until most of the water has evaporated.
4) Pour over the yogurt, cook over a low heat until thoroughly heated.
5) Sprinkle chilli powder to taste and chopped coriander, then serve the New Potato Curry in a heated serving dish or straight from the wok.