Cold Curried Prawns
|Prepared prawns||12 Ounce (350 Grams)|
|Long grain rice||8 Ounce (225 Grams)|
|Oil and vinegar dressing||4 Tablespoon, prepared|
|For the curry mayonnaise|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Flour||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Curry powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Concentrated tomato puree||1 Teaspoon|
|Castor sugar||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Apricot jam||1 Tablespoon|
|Mayonnaise||1⁄4 Pint (1/2 Deciliter)|
|Single cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juice extracted|
1. Peel fresh prawns or thaw frozen ones.
2. In a saucepan, boil rice in salt water for 8-10 minutes until tender; drain.
3. Add oil and vinegar dressing; mix well and let the rice cool down.
4. In a saucepan, melt butter for the curry mayonnaise.
5. Stir in the onion and sautÃ© very gently for about 5 minutes until the onion softens.
6. Add flour and curry powder; stir and fry for a couple of minutes until oil comes out of the curry powder.
7. Stir in the tomato puree, salt, castor sugar and apricot jam.
8. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
9. Remove the pan from heat and strain into a basin; let it cool down.
10. To the cooled sauce, add mayonnaise and stir in the cream and lemon juice.
11. Let the sauce stand for several hours or overnight before serving.
12. Add the prepared prawns to the curry mayonnaise sauce.
13. Serve over a bed of rice.
Calories 657 Calories from Fat 350
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.6%
Saturated Fat 7.9 g39.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 41.6 mg13.9%
Sodium 513.2 mg21.4%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g19.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.9%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 19 g37.5%
Vitamin A 6.2% Vitamin C 14.8%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet