Cashew Nut Curry
|Cashew nuts||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Cold water||1 1⁄2 Pint (900 Milliliter)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely-chopped|
|Cinnamon stick pieces||2|
|Ground coriander||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Coconut||1 Ounce, creamed (25 Gram)|
|Hot water||4 Fluid Ounce (125 Milliliter)|
1. In a medium bowl, cover the cashew nuts with water and stir in bicarbonate of soda. Allow the cashews to soak for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain the water from the cashews using a colander. Wash the cashew under tap water. Keep aside until required.
3. Using a mortar and pestle, grind the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon to a coarse powder.
4. In a large cup, combine the creamed coconut with hot water and stir to dissolve.
5. In a medium Dutch oven or a sauce pan, heat oil on a medium flame.
6. Add sliced onion to the oil and sauté till golden brown.
7. Add the powdered spices along with other spices and salt, to the onions and sauté for 1 minute.
8. Mix in the cashew nuts and sauté to combine with the onions and spices.
9. Pour the coconut cream into the pot and stir to blend with the cashews.
10. Cover the pot, reduce the flame and simmer the gravy for 15 minutes until the cashews are soft and the gravy has thickened to coat the back of the ladle.
11. Ladle the cashews and gravy into a serving dish or tureen
12. Serve curry with steamed white rice or pulao.
Calories 412 Calories from Fat 258
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.2%
Saturated Fat 6.6 g33.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 676.8 mg28.2%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.8%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20.1%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 11 g22.3%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 7.9%
Calcium 9.1% Iron 17.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet