Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Ginger root piece||1 Inch, peeled and grated|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground turmeric||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||2 , chopped|
|Red bird's eye chilies||2 , deseeded and finely chopped|
|Pumpkin/Butternut squash flesh||1 Pound, cubed|
|Hot curry paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Firm banana||1 Large|
|Canned chickpeas||400 Gram, drained, rinsed (1 Can)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Freshly chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander sprigs||3 (For Garnish)|
|Rice/3 naan bread||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan and add the onion. Fry gently for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the garlic, ginger and spices and fry for a further minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and chillies and cook for another minute.
3. Add the pumpkin and curry paste and fry gently for 3-4 minutes before adding the stock.
4. Stir well, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the pumpkin is tender.
5. Thickly slice the banana and add to the pumpkin along with the chickpeas. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the chopped coriander. Serve immediately, garnished with coriander sprigs and some rice or naan bread.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1833 Calories from Fat 280
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.1%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g21.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2870.4 mg119.6%
Total Carbohydrates 353 g117.6%
Dietary Fiber 40.5 g161.8%
Sugars 44.2 g
Protein 46 g91.7%
Vitamin A 743.7% Vitamin C 207.8%
Calcium 44% Iron 85.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet