Meen Vevichathu Red Fish Curry
|Fish pieces||1⁄2 Kilogram|
|Chili powder||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (2 Dessertspoons)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fenugreek seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||12 Clove (60 gm)|
|Ginger||2 Teaspoon, sliced|
|Refined oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Button onions||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, sliced (2 Dessertspoons)|
|Cocum pieces||3 , washed and soaked in water|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Clean the fish pieces well in salted water.
2. Grind ingredients 2 to 4 to a paste with 6 garlic cloves and 1 tsp ginger and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter the mustard seeds. Add onion, remaining garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Keep stirring and when it turns slightly brown drain from oil and keep aside.
4. In the same oil, stir in the ground masala, and fry until the aroma rises. Add the soaked cocum and 2 cups water. Add salt to taste.
5. Transfer this into an earthenware vessel and simmer. Gently ladle in the fish pieces and the sauted ingredients.
6. Cook half covered, till it boils.
7. Remove the lid and allow to simmer on low heat till the gravy thickens and the fish is cooked.
Calories 304 Calories from Fat 177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.6%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 62.7 mg20.9%
Sodium 651.9 mg27.2%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.4%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 15 g29.2%
Vitamin A 25.3% Vitamin C 12.4%
Calcium 3.7% Iron 5.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet