1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Any dal of your choice may be used)
Green chili paste
1⁄2 Teaspoon (Use as per taste)
2 Tablespoon (Optional)
2 Tablespoon, chopped finely
1. Heat a pressure cooker with a couple of tablespoons of oil. Add dry whole red chilies and mustard seeds.
2. Once the mustard seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
3. Add the squash cubes and the tomatoes. Stir a little.
4. Add the Bengal gram, green chili paste, garlic paste, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Stir well to combine all the spices with the vegetable.
5. Add brown sugar (optional) and a little bit of water, cover the cooker and cook till you hear 3 to 4 whistles of pressure release.
6. Once cooked, sprinkle freshly chopped cilantro.
7. Serve warm with rice, roti, naan or paratha.
The same dish may be prepared using butternut squash, orange pumpkin or bottle gourd.
In a mood to try some different curry, then you must check this out. Chef Bhavna makes the squash curry. It has a unique taste and you can serve the curry with rice or roti. Do check out the video for the detailed recipe.