I show you how to make a real buttercream, made with whipped egg yolks, soft ball stage sugar syrup, butter, and strawberry puree.
|Cake flour||7 Ounce , sifted|
|Baking powder||2 1/4 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||1/2 Teaspoon|
|White granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Softened butter||8 Tablespoon|
|Skim milk||2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Egg white||3 Large (extra large, at room temperature)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh strawberries||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla sugar||2 Tablespoon (for strawberry)|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) , diced (3 sticks)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
2. In a bowl, whisk egg whites, 3 tablespoon of milk, and vanilla.
2. In food processor, combine cake flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Mix on low to combine.
3. Add butter and milk. Mix on low to moisten everything. Turn the processor to medium and beat for 90 seconds or until nice and smooth. Scrape down sides to make sure everything is well combined.
4. With the mixer on medium- low speed, slowly add half of the egg mixture. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds. Repeat with the other half of the egg mixture.
5. Line a 12 cup tray with cupcake liner and pour batter, about 2/3 of the way up.
6. Pop the tray in oven and bake for 20-22 minutes. Remove from oven and allow it to cool on wire rack.
7. In a bowl, combine the chopped fresh strawberries with vanilla sugar and lemon juice. Give it a good stir. Let it sit for 15 minutes at room temperature to intensify the flavor.
8. Puree the strawberries in a food processor or blender, taking care to leave some small chunks of strawberry. Pour the mixture in a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl, letting some of the excess liquid drain. Set the drained pureed strawberries aside.
9. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add sugar and water. Place it on stove over medium high heat and cook until it reaches 238 degree F.
10. Meanwhile, in a stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks on high speed for 8 minutes until very pale.
11. When both the egg yolks and the sugar syrup are ready, pour the sugar syrup into the mixing bowl (the mixer should still be on high speed), aiming as best as you can to pour between the wire whisk and the side of the bowl. Beat for 10 minutes or until the bowl is neither hot nor cold.
12. Turn the mixer down to medium and add two tbsp of the strawberry puree.
13. Add butter, a couple of cubes at a time and beat well after each addition. Do a final taste and see if you would like to add any more strawberry puree.
14. Pipe or spread your buttercream on your cupcakes, and enjoy!
Calories 546Calories from Fat 293
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.8%
Saturated Fat 20 g100%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 164 mg6.83%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g20%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 45 g
Protein 5 g10%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 6552Calories from Fat 3516
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 396 g609.6%
Saturated Fat 240 g1200%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1968 mg81.96%
Total Carbohydrates 720 g240%
Dietary Fiber 24 g96%
Sugars 540 g
Protein 60 g120%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet