Sweet Potato Cupcakes
|Unbleached flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canola oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 (room temperature)|
|Sweet potato||513 Gram, pureed, divided (2 cups for batter and 4 ounce for filling)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Mascarpone cheese||8 Ounce, softened|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Maple syrup||1 Dash|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes in ½” pieces.
3. On a baking sheet, toss the sweet potatoes in oil and bake until tender.
4. In a food processor, process the sweet potatoes to make puree and add in water if too dry.
5. In a bowl, measure and sift out the dry ingredients which include your flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
6. In another bowl, cream together sugar and oil.
7. Beat the eggs one by one.
8. Spoon in the sweet potato puree and splash in your vanilla. Beat the mixture in the second bowl until it gets foamy.
9. Now, slowly combine the ingredients of the first bowl into the second bowl, in batches, being careful not to over mix.
10. Spoon in the batter in a lined cupcake pan and bake for 17-19 minutes.
11. Once done, let them cool.
12. For the Filling: Cream together the mascarpone cheese, spices, and the sweet potato puree with vanilla.
13. Pour in as much maple syrup as needed to sweeten it to your liking.
14. Chill the filling in the fridge for 15 minutes or so.
15. Fill a pastry bag, fitted with a small round tip and fill your cooled cupcakes until you feel gentle pressure.
16. Place a Marshmallow on top of each cake and hit it with the broiler until when it begins to caramelize the sugar. When it becomes golden and puffs up, gently take a spatula and press it down.
17.Arrange on a decorative platter and serve right away.
To make the puree, roast cubes of Sweet Potatoes at 350 for at least 30 minutes (or until fork tender). Cool completely and blitz in a food processor. Add water as needed to make a thick and creamy consistency. You can also use a store bought can.
Calories 421 Calories from Fat 198
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.3%
Saturated Fat 5.1 g25.5%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 70.9 mg23.6%
Sodium 342.2 mg14.3%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.6%
Sugars 30.8 g
Protein 5 g10.1%
Vitamin A 95.8% Vitamin C 1.7%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 7.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet