Fluffy White Cupcakes & Chocolate Buttercream
|For the cake|
|Cake flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (1/8 teaspoon required to beat the egg whites)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (room temperature milk)|
|Vanilla||2 Teaspoon (1 scraped vanilla bean)|
|For the chocolate buttercream|
|Unsalted butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Powdered sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cream/Whole milk||2 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
3. In a mixer bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
4. Sprinkle in cream of tartar and salt and whisk until stiff peak forms.
5. In a bowl, beat together sugar and butter in an electric beater until well combined.
6. Add in vanilla, and beat to mix.
7. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the butter mixture in small batches, alternating with milk but start and end with flour mixture.
8. Spoon in the egg white mixture in small batches and fold lightly, but do not over mix.
9. In cupcake molds lined with cupcake liners, put the batter in using a ice cream scoop and bake for about 17 minutes until the center just springs back when you press with your finger lightly on top.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the Buttercream
11. In a bowl, sift together powdered sugar, cocoa, and salt.
In a separate bowl, cream together butter with paddle attachment and slowly add in cocoa mixture.
12. Add in vanilla and beat well to mix, if the mixture is too thick add in little milk.
13. Frost the white fluffy cupcakes with the chocolate butter cream icing and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
14. Arrange on a decorative platter and serve right away.