How to Bake Chai Cupcakes
|Cake flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), unbleached|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Pinch (or 1 grind)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, softened|
|Apple sauce/Yoghurt||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Eggs||1 (at room temperature)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), warm|
|Tea bags||3 (chai tea bags)|
|Apple cider vinegar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pumpkin spice/Cinnamom||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Cream cheese frosting||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. In a cup, steep the tea bags for at least 5 minutes in the warm buttermilk.
2. Add in all the spices and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. In a bowl, sift the cake flour, soda, baking powder and salt.
5. In another bowl, cream together the granulated and brown sugar with butter using an electric beater.
6. Slowly stream in the egg and beat to mix.
7. Spoon in apple sauce or yogurt if using and mix.
8. Stream in the buttermilk mixture, add apple cider vinegar and beat well.
9. Add the dry ingredients little at a time, beat well after each addition, taking care not to over mix.
10. In a cupcake tray lined with cupcake liner, pour the batter and bake in the oven for 17-22 minutes for standard size cupcakes.
11. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
12. Frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and dust with Pumpkin Spice or Cinnamon, if desired.
13. Serve right away.
You can omit the Apple Sauce and use 1/4 c soft Butter instead.
You can also top with Buttercream instead of the cream cheese frosting.
Calories 212 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.3%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g11.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 34.5 mg11.5%
Sodium 268.7 mg11.2%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.8%
Sugars 31.6 g
Protein 3 g5%
Vitamin A 2.6% Vitamin C 0.69%
Calcium 4.4% Iron 2.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet