Red Velvet Cupcakes
|Granulated sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1 (at room temperature)|
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cocoa powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red food coloring||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (at room temperature)|
|Vanilla extract||4 Drop|
|For cream cheese frosting|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (at room temperature)|
|Cream cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (at room temperature)|
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. In a bowl, sift the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, red food coloring and salt.
3. In a measuring cup, add the milk, vinegar and a few drops of vanilla extract. Mix well to combine.
4. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add beaten egg little by little and mix well.
5. To the bowl, add half of the sifted dry ingredients and half of the wet ingredients, and mix well.
6. Add the rest of the dry and wet ingredients, and mix until smooth.
7. Line muffin pan with cupcake papers. Spoon the mixture into the cups up to 80% full.
8. Bake at 180C (350F) for 20-25 minutes.
9. Place the cakes on the wire rack to cool.
10. For cream cheese frosting, beat the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract together until smooth.
12. Sift in powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
13. Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and cool in the fridge.
14. Pipe it onto the cupcakes and arrange on a decorative platter. Serve right away.
In this recipe, buttermilk was substituted with milk and vinegar.
Cream cheese frosting can be substituted with whipped cream.
Calories 354 Calories from Fat 195
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34%
Saturated Fat 13.3 g66.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 81.9 mg27.3%
Sodium 183.1 mg7.6%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.1%
Sugars 22 g
Protein 5 g9.3%
Vitamin A 14.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 6.9% Iron 2.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet