Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing
|For the cake|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|White sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Canola oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soy milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsweetened apple sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For chocolate icing|
|Icing sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened (I use Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soy milk||3 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the cake ingredients and mix with a large spoon until all the ingredients are combined and there are few lumps.
3. If need be, you can use a whisk to get the lumps out.
4. Fill the liners till they are ⅔ full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the centre comes out clean.
5. Let them cool for a few minutes in the pans, then remove them and place on cooling racks to cool off completely.
6. To make the icing, beat margarine for about 30 seconds.
7. Continue beating, adding ½ cup icing sugar at a time and beat on low speed till smooth.
8. Add the vanilla and soy milk, beat again.
9. Ice when the cupcakes are completely cool and serve them over tea or coffee.
Calories 635 Calories from Fat 324
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g56.5%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.3%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 284 mg11.8%
Total Carbohydrates 81 g27.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.6%
Sugars 52 g
Protein 7 g13.8%
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 0.03%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 22.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet