Christmas Cupcakes: Chocolate Cupcakes
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Hot coffee||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Semi sweet chocolate chips||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|For the topping|
|Cool whip||8 Ounce|
|Candy canes||7 Medium, crushed, divided (3/4 cup used in the batter; rest for garnishing)|
|Semi sweet chocolate chips||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted (as required to drizzle over the cool whip)|
1. Crush the candy canes and set aside.
2. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
3. In a large bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Add cocoa powder, sugar and combine the ingredients well.
5. Pour in some plain hot black coffee, some milk and vegetable oil. Mix using a mixer until well combined.
6. Add the eggs, vanilla extract and mix well to combine.
7. Add the semi sweet chocolate chips and 3/4 cup of the crushed canes to the batter. Save the rest of the crushed candy canes for garnishing. Using a spatula, fold in the mixture to combine well.
8. Pour the batter into the lined cupcake cups in the baking tin, 3/4 full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not overbake.
9. Once done, remove from the oven and cool over a cooling rack.
10. Top each cupcake with a dollop of cool whip.
11. Melt some chocolate chips, take it in a sandwich bag, snip off the end and drizzle on the chocolate. Top it with some sprinkles of the crushed candy.
12. Refrigerate before serving.
13. Serve chilled or at room temperature.