Holly Bell's Mini Simnel Cupcakes
|For macerating the dry fruit mixture|
|Ginger wine/Orange juice||20 Milliliter (Optional)|
|Raisins||25 Gram (Crimson raisins)|
|Chopped dried apricots||25 Gram|
|Chopped dried dates||25 Gram|
|Crystallized ginger||20 Gram, chopped finely|
|For the batter|
|Self raising flour||100 Gram|
|Butter||150 Gram, softened|
|Soft brown sugar||50 Gram|
|Ground almonds||60 Gram|
|Castor sugar||100 Gram|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground mixed spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||3 Large (At room temperature)|
|For the topping|
|Marzipan||500 Gram (One ready-made pack used)|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon (As needed for dusting)|
|Apricot jam||3 Dash (As needed to stick the marzipan to the top of the cupcake)|
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5 / 374 F.
2. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases. Set aside.
3. Heat a saucepan with ginger wine, add in all the dry fruits and saute for a minute until all the wine is absorbed into the fruits.
4. Into a large mixing bowl, add in all the ingredients for the batter. Using an elextric mixer, mix to combine everything together for about 3 - 4 minutes.
5. Into this soft batter, add in the macerated dry fruits mixture.
6. Using a spoon gently mix to get the fruits evenly distributed in the batter.
7. Spoon in small portions of the batter into each individual cupcake serving (of the cupcake case lined tin) until 3/4 full.
8. Level off the top by dipping your finger in and giving a quick swirl.
9. Pop it into the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until well risen and an inserted toothpick into the center of each cupcake comes out clean.
10. Once done, remove and place each cupcake on a cooling rack and allow to cool.
11. Meanwhile, dust a hard surface with icing sugar and roll out the marzipan to about 3/4 milimeters thick, as shown in the video.
12. Using a sharp cutter, cut off round or flower shape tops for the cupcakes.
13. Brush the top of each cupcake with a little apricot jam and place the cut marzipan followed by little balls of marzipan as demonstrated in the video.
14. Serve as it is.
2. Paper cupcake cases