|Whole wheat pastry flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fine salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Raw sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Non dairy milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon extract/Lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla icing||1 (1 recipe, pg. 225)|
|Strawberries||12 Ounce (fresh or frozen)|
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Grease a muffin tin or spray paper liners and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
4. In a large bowl, whisk applesauce, sugar, non-dairy milk, and lemon extract or zest until well combined.
5. Pour dry mixture into the wet mixture in 3 to 4 batches, stirring until just combined.
6. Spoon batter into muffin cups 3⁄4 full and bake for 15 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Transfer to a wire cooling rack.
8. Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, slather icing over top and garnish with fresh strawberry slices (thawed, if using frozen).
Nutritional Information (without icing ): Calories 157.8; Calories from Fat 4.5; Total Fat 0.5g; Cholesterol 0mg; Total Carbohydrate 35.6g; Dietary Fiber 2.8g; Sugars 2.8g; Protein 2.8g
This recipe was excerpted from The Happy Herbivore. To purchase the book, visit www.amazon.com.