Chocolate Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue: Cupcake Show #15
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut in cubes|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cake flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Dutch processed)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|For swiss meringue|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.28 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
3. In a bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, vanilla and almond extract on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Add in an egg, and beat well to combine.
5. In another bowl, put together cake flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt, and stir to mix.
6. Add the flour mixture in the butter mixture in 2 batches alternating it with buttermilk, on low speed.
7. Once the flour mixture and buttermilk is added raise the speed to medium, and mix just until combined.
8. Scoop batter into cupcake wells using a medium cookie scoop.
9. Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
10. Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
11. Remove the cupcakes using a fork and place on a cooling rack until cooled completely.
For Swiss Meringue:
12. In a heat proof bowl, put together sugar, water, egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla and almond extracts, and beat well with a hand mixer, on high speed, for about 1 minute.
13. Place the bowl over a saucepan filled with about 2 inch of simmering water, check that the water should not touch the bowl.
14. Continue to beat on high speed for about 7 minutes.
15. Remove the bowl of meringue from the stove and set on the counter.
16. Beat for a minute more with the mixer to cool the meringue down.
17. Spread the frosting over cooled cupcakes and serve.