|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted cake flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sifted unsweetened cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Place paper liners in 18 (3-inch) cupcake cups.
2. Over shortening in large bowl of electric mixer, sift flour with cocoa, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
3. Add egg, milk, and vanilla.
4. At low speed, beat 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl with rubber scraper.
5. At medium speed, beat until fluffy—about 3 minutes.
6. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons batter into each prepared cup. Top with one of surprises. Then add enough batter to fill little more than halfway.
7. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip. Remove to wire rack; cool completely.