These cupcakes will be a home run for any sports loving family. Here’s how to decorate cupcakes to look like baseballs, tennis balls, basketballs and soccer balls, with some easy tips from professional baker and author Liv Hansen for the Betty Crocker Kitchens.
6 , cooled
1 Cup (16 tbs), divided and tinted with white, tennis ball green and orange
1 (Filled With Red, White And Chocolate Frosting For Piping)
To make sports field turf:
1. Place coconut in zip-top plastic bag.
2. Add a few drops of green food coloring. Close bag and knead coconut by hand until it turns green.
3. Spread on a serving platter.
To make basketball cupcakes:
4. Frost a cupcake with orange frosting, turning cupcake as you go to evenly coat.
5. Using a pastry cone filled with chocolate frosting, pipe lines on the cupcake to look like seams on a basketball.
To make baseball cupcake:
6. Frost a cupcake with white frosting.
7. Pipe two arcs on top using the red frosting in a pastry cone.
8. Pipe the stitches on each arc using chocolate icing. Press down as you start to squeeze frosting out and then lift up.
To make a tennis ball cupcakes:
9. Create this unique shade by mixing yellow food coloring into white frosting and then add green one drop at a time, until you get the color just right.
10. Pipe two arcs with white frosting on top.
To make soccer ball cupcakes:
11. Frost cupcakes with white frosting.
12. Using the pastry cone filled with chocolate frosting, make a pentagon in the center of the cupcake and fill in with chocolate frosting.
13. Make a line from each of the points of the pentagon out to the edge of the cupcake. At the edge of each of the lines, pipe and fill a triangle shape.
14. Place finished cupcakes in a cupcake tree or on top of the coconut ""turf"" on a serving platter.
You can make these sports cupcakes and freeze them till you need them for up to two months.
Things You Will Need
Serving platter or cupcake tree
Plastic zip-top bag