Jungle Animal Cupcakes: Monkey, Lion, Tiger and Zebra Cupcakes
|Cake mix||1 Pound (Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow or devil’s food cake mix+ Water, vegetable oil and eggs as per instructions on the box)|
|Chocolate frosting||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting)|
|Vanilla frosting||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting)|
|Food color||30 Gram, divided (black, red, yellow colors of 10 grams each)|
|For lion cupcakes|
|Caramel popcorn||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chocolate baking bits||12 Small (Brown miniature candy-coated)|
|Pretzel sticks||12 Small, broken|
|Cheerios cereal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For tiger cupcakes|
|Gumdrops||12 , cut in half crosswise (Orange chewy fruit-flavored)|
|For monkey cupcakes|
|Mini marshmallows||6 Small, cut in half crosswise, pieces flattened|
|Mints||12 Small (Round chocolate-covered creamy)|
|For zebra decorations|
|Vanilla wafers||6 Medium (Round)|
|Gumdrops||6 , cut in half vertically (Black chewy licorice-flavored)|
For The Cupcakes
1. Prepare cupcakes by following the instructions on the box of the cake mix.
2. Remove from oven and let it cool in the muffin pans for around 10 minutes. Transfer them onto a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
For The Frostings
3. BLACK: Mix ½ cup of chocolate frosting with black food color. Fill it into piping bags or plastic freezer bags and cut the tip off.
4. LIGHT BROWN: To 1 tablespoon chocolate frosting, mix 3 tablespoons of vanilla frosting. Fill into plastic bags and cut off the end. Set aside.
5. ORANGE: To 1 cup of vanilla frosting mix yellow and red food colors to form an even orange color.
6. LIGHT ORANGE: To 1 tablespoon of orange frosting, mix 3 tablespoons of vanilla frosting. Fill it in plastic bag and cut off the tip. Set aside.
For The Lion Cupcake
7. Take a cupcake. Spread the dark orange frosting on top evenly. Using the piping bag spread a small circle of light orange frosting a little away from the center.
8. Arrange caramel popcorns around the edges of the cupcake for the mane. Place brown baking bits for eyes a little above the light orange circle.
9. Put small pieces of pretzels on either side of the light orange circle for whiskers. Place cheerio cereal on top inside the mane on either side for ears. Pipe out black frosting for the mouth and nose.
10. Repeat this with 5 more cupcakes.
For The Tiger Cupcake
11. On a cupcake repeat step 7 with the orange frosting. Using black frosting to make small triangles for the stripes. Make the nose and mouth also with the black frosting.
12. Place the baking bits above the light orange circle for eyes. Use gumdrops halves for the ears. Repeat this with 5 more cupcakes.
For The Monkey Cupcake
13. Frost 6 cupcakes with the chocolate frosting. Make small circles with light brown frosting starting from the middle towards the edge. Pipe out tufts of hair on top with the light brown frosting.
14. On 2 marshmallow halves attach baking bits using frosting. Place it above the circle for eyes. Pipe out the mouth and nose with black frosting. Use mints for the ears. Repeat this with the remaining 5 cupcakes.
For The Zebra Cupcake
15. On 6 cupcakes, make horizontal slits near the edge of the cupcake liner.
16. Spread a small amount of vanilla frosting to the edge of a vanilla cookie and insert it into the slit for the elongated face. Pipe black frosting over this for the muzzle.
17. Frost the rest of the cupcake with white frosting for the face of the zebra. Pipe the black frosting over it for the black stripes and mane on top. Place brown baking bits for the eyes and use black gum drops halves for the ears. Place it cut side down.
18. In a serving platter, arrange these animals to appear as a jungle or zoo and serve it as dessert.