In this video, Betty demonstrates how to make Old-Fashioned Cucumber Slices. This is a recipe that has been around a long time, but it has endured as a great salad or a side dish.
3 Medium (1 medium to large English cucumber used)
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
Ground black pepper/Ground white pepper
1. Wash cucumbers, pat dry and cut them into paper-thin slices to measure about 2 cups.
2. In a deep bowl, place cucumbers and sprinkle salt between layers.
3. Cover cucumbers with a plate and weigh them down with a heavy object. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
4. Drain cucumbers thoroughly and press out remaining liquid.
5. In a cup, mix together white vinegar, sugar, and ground pepper.
6. Pour over cucumber slices. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
7. Drain cucumbers before serving and enjoy!