Ginger Spiced Cucumber
|Seedless cucumber||1 Pound (1 European Cucumber)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Oriental sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Fresh ginger piece||1 1⁄2 Inch, peeled and minced|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|White distilled vinegar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Place the cucumber resting on its length against the handle of a wooden spoon or chopstick. Cut 1/4-inch slices diagonally by stopping at the spoon so that you do not cut all the way through.
2) Turn the cucumber over and again place resting against the spoon to cut straight down into 1/4-inch slices without cutting all the way through.
3) Season the cucumber with salt.
4) With a clean kitchen towel, wrap the cucumber and place inside refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
5) In a small saucepan, heat the vegetable oil and sesame oil over high heat.
6) SautÃ© garlic and ginger for a minute or until aromatic.
7) Stir in sugar and vinegar.
8) Bring to a boil and cook by stirring for 3 minutes or until the syrup is slightly thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup.
9) In a serving platter, place the cucumber by slightly opening the slices. Drizzle the sauce over the cucumber and ser.
The sauce can be made up to 24 hours in advance; cover and refrigerate. Reheat before proceeding.
Calories 218 Calories from Fat 44
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.7%
Saturated Fat 0.69 g3.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 736.2 mg30.7%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.9 g3.6%
Sugars 37.4 g
Protein 2 g3.6%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 1.5%
Calcium 0.8% Iron 0.43%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet