ROPA VIEJA "Old Clothe"- Shredded Beef
|Flank steak||3 Pound|
|Water||12 Cup (192 tbs)|
|Bay leaf||2 Large|
|Onion||1 Large, diced|
|Green bell pepper||1 Large, cored, seeded and diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, cored, seeded and diced|
|Garlic||4 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Tomato juice||30 Ounce (2 15-ounce cans)|
|Cumin powder||1 Pinch|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Low sodium sweet early peas||15 Ounce (1 15-ounce can)|
|Diced pimentos||4 Ounce (1 4-ounce bottle)|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (or to taste)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (or as required)|
1) Put the beef in a large pot.
2) Cover with the water and add 1 bay leaf and salt.
3) Bring the contents to a boil, reduce the heat and let the meat simmer for about 60-90 minutes, till it is tender.
4) Remove the meat and set it aside to cool.
5) Once cool enough to handle, shred it.
6) In a pot, put the olive oil and sauté the onion, green bell pepper and red bell pepper.
7) Add the garlic, mix and then add the beef. Mix well and cook for about 1 minute.
8) Add the tomato sauce, dry white wine, oregano, the second bay leaf and cumin. Mix well and continue to cool. Add salt and pepper.
9) Bring the ingredients to a boil, stirring as required.
10) Add the peas and pimento. Mix well.
11) Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the ingredients cook for about 30 minutes.
12) Transfer the preparation to a serving plate and serve while still hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3422 Calories from Fat 1032
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 108 g165.4%
Saturated Fat 35.4 g177.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 360 mg120%
Sodium 4252.8 mg177.2%
Total Carbohydrates 174 g58.1%
Dietary Fiber 43.2 g172.7%
Sugars 76.2 g
Protein 313 g626.6%
Vitamin A 304.8% Vitamin C 1065.7%
Calcium 89.4% Iron 218.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet