Cuban Ham And Black Bean Soup
|Black beans||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lean salt pork||4 Ounce, cut into small cubes|
|Finely chopped onion||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Finely minced garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped green pepper||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Beef broth/Water||2 Quart|
|Smoked ham hocks||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Dried red peppers||2|
|Wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cooked rice||4 Cup (64 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed for 12 servings)|
|Chopped onions/Scallions / lemon slices||2 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1. Take a bowl and add water, beans and soak overnight. Or Quickly soak the beans and drain the water.
2. Take a large kettle and heat oil in it and stir in salted pork and cook until the fat is released.
3. Stir in garlic, onions, and green pepper and cook until the vegetables turn tender.
4. Stir in beans and add beef broth or water, bay leaf, oregano, smoked ham hocks, dried red peppers and season it with salt and pepper.
5. Boil the mixture, then cook at low heat for about 2-3 hours or until beans are tender.
6. Take out the bay leaf and discard.
7. Spoon out ham hocks from kettle, separate meat from bones and chop them finely.
8. Add the bean mixture to food processor, puree it and put it back to kettle. Stir in sherry and vinegar and heat it thoroughly.
9. Serve the Cuban black bean soup with rice and garnish with lemon slices or scallions, onions and top it with chopped meat from ham hocks.