Moros Y Cristianos
|Dried black beans||1 Pound|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Bacon slab||8 Ounce, rind discarded, cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Ripe tomato||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Defatted chicken broth||8 Cup (128 tbs) (Homemade)|
|Chorizo sausages||4 Ounce, cut into 1/2 inch slices|
|Smoked ham hock||12 Ounce (1 Piece)|
|Packed dark brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Cooked white rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1/2 Cup, Raw)|
|Fresh lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. Check the beans for stones and discard.
2. Rinse the beans and soak it overnight in a bowl.
3. Next morning drain and rinse the beans.
4. In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium-low heat.
5. Stir in bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes until the fat is rendered.
6. Add onion, garlic, and tomato.
7. Cook for another 10 minutes until the vegetables wilt.
8. Add cumin, cayenne, and bay leaves; stir to combine.
9. Add the beans, broth, chorizos, ham hock, and brown sugar.
10. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat.
11. Partially cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours; occasionally stir.
12. Take out the ham hock from the broth and let it cool until just enough to handle.
13. Remove meat from the bones and shred it.
14. Return the meat back to the beans.
15. Heat the beans and stir in cooked rice and lime juice just before serving.
16. Serve in shallow bowls.
17. If the dish is too thick, add a little bit of chicken broth before serving.
Calories 616 Calories from Fat 270
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.8%
Saturated Fat 9.1 g45.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.1 mg17.4%
Sodium 669.8 mg27.9%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.2%
Dietary Fiber 9.8 g39.3%
Sugars 5.8 g
Protein 31 g61.1%
Vitamin A 4.9% Vitamin C 12.3%
Calcium 18.8% Iron 27.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet