Habana Libre Pork Roast
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Large, halved crosswise and slivered|
|Boneless pork loin||3 1⁄2 Pound (1 Piece)|
|Boneless loin pork||3 1⁄2 Pound (1 Piece)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), slivered|
|Fresh ginger piece||1 , peeled and slivered|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lightly packed dark brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/4 Cup Plus 1 Tablespoon)|
|Defatted chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apple cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dark jamaican rum||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Set the oven temperature to 350°F before roasting.
2) Using the tip of a small sharp knife, make deep slits in the pork loin.
3) In a large skillet, heated over medium heat, heat oil and butter and sauté onions for about 15 minutes in it until wilted.
4) Take a shallow roasting pan and arrange the onions in the bottom of it.
5) Fill the pork with garlic and ginger slivers.
6) Combine together cloves, cinnamon, and pepper and apply it all over the pork.
7) Keep the pork loin on top of the onions and top it with honey and then brown sugar.
8) Mix together chicken broth, vinegar, and rum and pour this mixture over the onions in the bottom of the pan.
9) Roast the pork for about 1 1/2 hours or 20 minutes per pound in preheated oven until it is cooked through or reads 150° to 160°F on a meat thermometer.
10) Baste the pork often during the cooking time and move the onions around in the liquid.
11) Transfer the pork to a carving board and keep it aside for 15 minutes after covering loosely with aluminum foil.
12) In the meantime, strain the sauce, keeping the onions in a saucepan.
13) Through a gravy separator, pour the sauce to remove any excess fat.
14) Mix the degreased sauce with the onions and cook over low heat until it thickens.
15) Slice the pork into thin pieces and arrange on a serving platter.
16) Cover with onion sauce on top and serve at once.