The Posh Pescatarian: Havana Style Whole Fish With Blackeye Pea Fritters (Bollitos)
|Whole fish||2 Pound, gutted and scored (Your choice of fish)|
|Black eyed peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), soaked overnight|
|Cuban rum||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cilantro||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm)|
|Lime zest||1 Medium|
|Lime juice||1 Medium|
|Granulated garlic||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper flakes||To Taste (To garnish)|
|Green onions||To Taste, chopped finely (To garnish)|
|Vegetable oil||5 Tablespoon (For frying)|
|Lemon||2 Medium, quartered (To garnish)|
1) Place the whole fish on a plate and apply the juice of one lime and zest to both sides.
2) Use a blender and chop the vegetables and with remaining lime juice, olive oil, garlic cloves water and rum.
3) Remove the skin of the black eyed peas by gently rubbing the peas together. Pick away the floating skins and drain it.
4) Along with the other ingredients in the food processor add the black eyed peas and blend with more lime juice, garlic cloves and salt, cumin, cinnamon and granulated garlic.
5) Add oregano and flour and blend till the consistency of thick cookie dough.
6) Roast the fish for 30mins in a 375 degree oven.
7) Shape the fritters using spoons and fry in hot oil. Cook until golden brown.
8) Garnish the grilled fish with any additional marinade, green onions and pepper flakes. Serve with lemon quarters and fritters.
Calories 967 Calories from Fat 477
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 54 g83.2%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g33.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 170.6 mg7.1%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.8%
Dietary Fiber 13.3 g53.4%
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 56 g112.2%
Vitamin A 97.2% Vitamin C 70.3%
Calcium 79% Iron 147.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet