Sour Cream Quail
|Salt pork pieces||6|
|Juniper berries||12 , crushed|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sour cream||1 Pint (6 Days Old)|
1. Wash the quail well and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
2. Wrap 1 slice of the salt pork around each quail, fastening with a toothpick.
3. In a large casserole or Dutch oven, melt the butter over a medium flame.
4. Brown the quail well on all sides.
5. Add the juniper berries to the pot and lightly sauté.
6. Pour the boiling water and add seasonings.
7. Cover the pot and reduce the flame.
8. Simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours, adding more water if required while cooking.
9. Finally pour in the cream and simmer for another 30 minutes until you get a rich smooth sauce.
10. Serve the quail with the sauce over wild rice.
If the cream curdles, add a teaspoon of hot water slowly until the cream becomes smooth.
Calories 1009 Calories from Fat 795
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 89 g136.5%
Saturated Fat 35.2 g175.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 267.9 mg89.3%
Sodium 961.5 mg40.1%
Total Carbohydrates 4 g1.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.01 g0.02%
Sugars 2.8 g
Protein 48 g95.2%
Vitamin A 23.7% Vitamin C 23.6%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 50.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet