Crispy, crunchy, salty and packed with amazing cheddar cheese flavor! Yep these homemade cheese crackers are pretty addictive and crazy easy.
They come together with only 4 simple ingredients that I'm pretty sure you have in your house right now (seriously go check) which makes this recipe great for cooking with kids. Isaac loves making homemade cheese crackers just about as much as he loves eating them.
You can add in extra spices or various cheeses to switch things up a bit but I like to keep it plain and simple.
Sharp cheddar cheese
1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded (or smoked cheddar cheese)
1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)
All purpose flour
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
1 Tablespoon, coarse (Optional)
1. In a food processor, add cheddar cheese, unsalted butter, salt and flour.
2. Process it till it forms dough. Shape it like a disc, wrap with a plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
5. Remove the dough from the fridge and let it thaw and soften.
6. On a smooth work surface, roll the dough ½ inch thick.
7. Using a pizza cutter or knife make 1 inch squares from the dough.
8. Sprinkle them with kosher salt (if using).
9. Use the bottom end of a skewer or toothpick to make holes in the center of the squares.
10. Place these squares on the parchment lined cookie sheet.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for around 12 minutes or till the bottoms turn light golden brown.
12. Remove from the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for a minute.
13. Transfer them on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
14. In a serving plate, serve the crackers with milk, tea or any other refreshing drink or store them in an air tight container.