|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), grated|
|Unbleached flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted (Ceresota or Hecker's)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degree F
2. In a large bowl, add butter or margarine.
3. Beat the fat with a spatula or an electric mixture until it is light and creamy.
4. Add cheese and beat until well blended and creamy.
5. Gradually add flour, beating until the mixture binds to form a ball of dough.
6. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate to rest for 1 hour.
7. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough, lightly with a rolling pin, into a large circle of 1/4 inch thickness.
8. Use a 2-inch square cookie cutter (plain or fluted) to cut the dough into crackers.
9. Arrange the dough squares on baking sheets.
10. Blend egg and milk to make a wash and brush generously over dough squares to give crackers a nice golden color and sheen.
11. Bake the biscuits in the hot oven for about 10 to 12 minutes just until pale and dry.
12. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and loosen the biscuits with a spatula of pastry knife.
13. Slide them onto a wire rack and let them cool and harden.
14. Store the biscuits in a wax paper lined airtight container.
15. Serve the cheese crackers as an accompaniment to dips or soups or enjoy as an evening snack.