Rye Cheese Crackers
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light rye flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, well chilled|
|Caraway seeds||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium-size bowl stir together 1 cup of the all-purpose flour, the rye flour and salt.
2. Cut the butter into pieces, then with your fingers work it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the caraway seeds and 1/2 cup of cold water and stir until the dough begins to gather into a mass, then form it into a ball with your hands. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 300°.
4. Lightly flour a work surface and a rolling pin. Cut the dough in half and roll out half to a 1/16-inch-thick rectangle. Using 2-inch cookie cutters, cut out about 30 crackers, cutting them as close together as possible. (Do not reroll any excess dough; it will be tough when baked.)
5. Transfer the crackers to a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough.
6. Sprinkle the crackers with Parmesan and bake 12 minutes, or until crisp and lightly browned. Transfer the crackers to racks to cool, then store in an airtight container up to one week.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1142 Calories from Fat 230
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.6%
Saturated Fat 13.5 g67.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 58.7 mg19.6%
Sodium 1434.6 mg59.8%
Total Carbohydrates 190 g63.5%
Dietary Fiber 33.6 g134.5%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 44 g87.9%
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 2.6%
Calcium 47.6% Iron 86.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet