Crab Vol Au Vents
|Frozen puff pastry||13 Ounce, thawed (370 Gram)|
|Canned crabmeat||7 Ounce, drained and flaked (198 Gram)|
|Peeled prawns||3 1⁄4 Ounce, drained (1 Can, 92 Gram)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Bechamel sauce||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|French mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried mixed herbs||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Double cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten (To Glaze)|
|Whole prawns||2 (To Garnish)|
|Dill sprigs||4 (To Garnish)|
1) On a board, dust some flour and roll out pastry 1/4 inch thick.
2) With a 9 cm (3 1/2 inch) pastry cutter, cut out 6 circles and place on a dampened baking tray.
3) With a 5 cm (2 inch) pastry cutter, cut halfway through each circle.
4) In a bowl, gently mix the crabmeat, prawns and lemon juice.
5) Heat the BÃ©chamel sauce and allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
6) Stir in the sherry, mustard, herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
7) Turn off the heat and gently fold in the cream and the crabmeat mixture.
8) To prevent a skin forming on the top of the sauce, cover the dish with cling film.
9)When ready to serve, heat the oven to 220°C, 425°F, Gas Mark 7.
10)Brush the pastry cases with beaten egg and thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes.
11)Place in centre of the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until well risen and crisp and then cool.
12)Carefully remove the lids of the pastry and keep aside.
13)Turn the filling into a pan gently heat for about 30 minutes, occasionally stirring and turning the block.
14)When fully thawed, raise the heat and without allowing to boil, cook for 10 minutes.
15)Adjust seasoning to taste.
16) Spoon into vol au vents, place the lids back on.
17) Garnish with prawns and dill.
To freeze the pastry cases for up to 3 months, open freeze till solid, then pack in sealable containers.
To freeze the crabmeat filling for up to 3 months, cool and remove the cling film and transfer to a sealable container.