Crab Meat Cakes
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shallot/Onion||1 , quartered|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flaked crab meat||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Canned / Fresh)|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Hard cooked egg||1|
1. Heat half the butter or margarine with the shallot or onion in a saucepan. Remove the onion or shallot, blend in the flour, slowly add 1 cup of the milk, the salt and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and simmer until smooth and thickened. Remove half this sauce and reserve it.
2. Add the crab meat and 1/4 cup crumbs to the pan and mix thoroughly. Remove from the heat, cover and chill.
3. When the mixture is firm, form it into cutlets or patties. Roll each in the rest of the crumbs, then dip in the beaten egg and back into crumbs again.
4. Fry these cakes in the rest of the butter or margarine until golden brown on both sides.
5. Remove to a warmed platter and serve with a sauce made by blending the remaining milk with the reserved white sauce and the sieved hard-cooked egg. Heat the sauce for 1 or 2 minutes but do not boil it.